Thursday, February 03, 2011
Of cooking and writing
Two real plain loves of my life. Each one better than the other.

My first true experience of cooking a full meal was at 13. I started making tea when I was 8. I watched the tea froth and bubble with the little black grain and let it spill out. Just out of wonder and the aroma that filled the nostrils. I still don't have the dexterity in making a round rava dosa. Though I have graduated to a half-a-dozen other cuisine since then.

Writing happened to me at 16. My English teacher at school suggested I should write it away, since I didn't speak much or make many friends. Public display of my writings only happened in 2003. This blog stands witness. I won't count the 26 bylines I earned in the year and half, between 2000-2002, when I worked on field as a journalist.

I am enrolled for a cooking lesson today. Chinese Cooking. Never been to a cooking class. It's for free and I am worried if they'll consider me a cook at all; leave alone expertise.

Interestingly, they aired Julie & Julia on TV last night. While watching it for a trillionth time, I tried to cook up ideas in my mind on what I could speak about in my version of a food blog. I have incubated on this one for long.

Some of the ideas I am stuck with are:
  • Say cheese: This one affair requires a lot of sterilization and cooking tools but leaves you with a great volume of satisfaction because you needn't make a beeline at stores that fleece you off a few thousands for cheese.
  • International Vegetarian Cooking: This one's highly doable and desirable to all those vegetarians stuck in la la lands and want to use all the locally available vegetables and herbs and substitute meat with vegetables without having to see them perish in high temperatures.
  • Just Eggs: Easy and requires no elaborate setup at home. I know a few friends who'll vote for it with their whole big heart. Some of them have lived on eggs and cereals for a decade now.
  • 5-min desserts: For all those with more than a sweet tooth, this will work wonders meal after meal. Ask me; I crave for a sugar high every few hours.
  • Pots and Pans: For the occasional cook, who only cares about feeding thyself or a friend...once a year. For the rest, there's maggi and boiled eggs.

Frankly, I can't decide and if you are reading this and don't mind offering a free decision-making tip, shoot it at me.

Help me. Please!
posted by Shivranjini Krishnamurthy @ 2/03/2011 10:26:00 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Rebelzz said…

    Just Eggs - u know what I mean :D

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Rahul Korrapati said…

    How about 'Authentic French Cooking'?

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger May said…

    wud lov 5 min dessert recipes
    for blog 'pots n pans' sounds good

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Orientalblues said…

    5 Minute dessert!

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Veena said…

    Luv the post Shiv. Thanks for making me watch Julie and Julia. Its one the most awesomest movie I have watched. App ho super cook ho waisey bhi.. So here is my free advice for free.. 1.5 minute desserts and eggs. And plisss also try putting some quick 15 mins snacks..:)

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger lekha manohar said…

    well written, shiv. love

     
  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger pr!tz said…

    Welcome back! Also -- a culinary blog will be something I will look forward to! Want recipes?

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    take a cup of h20 start boiling it put magg...oh scratch that forget i said anything :) puhleez let me know when you know how to make a muffin rise perfectly! how? how?! 5 min desserts..hmmm..dude work's becoming sorta unbearable after this read!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me


Name: Shivranjini Krishnamurthy
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Also scribble at
Template By
Free Blogger Templates